Saturday 24 November 2007

Hartz Peak - 24 November 2007

Skink on rocks at Hartz Peak - 24 Nov 2007Oh no, yet another walk to Hartz Peak. (Map here) Actually it was conceived as a sunrise photographic expedition. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get up when I woke at 4am, which would have meant a walk start around 6am. I eventually got to Hartz at 8am, after pondering the weather observations which identified fairly strong winds. There was a strong cold breeze blowing, but the sun was also very warm, making for some hot/cold switches as the walk proceeded. Views were variable - bit hazy and cloudy at times, but clearing during the morning.
Waratah, Telopea truncata, Hartz Mountains - 24 Nov 2007

The waratah (Telopea truncata) is out, and it really adds an attractive sparkle of colour to the bush. Lower down along the road it's fully open, and higher up along the track it's just opening now. Well worth a look.


On the way back I met an old couple. We exchanged pleasantries, and he commented how lovely it was, then asked me if I'd been there before. Indeed I had, I said. He said they had too, "hundreds of times, never get tired of it". See, I'm not the only weird one.

No comments: