Sunday 6 April 2008

Mt Wellington - 6 April 2008

Organ Pipes, Mt Wellington - 6 Apr 2008Having acquired a replacement vehicle while the 'Cruiser awaits its colonoscopy and possibly a diagnosis of "rebuild or die", I was able to sneak off for a walk this afternoon. The tiny blue car has a 3-cylinder motor, and cheese-cutter tyres, so I didn't think taking it up the Hartz Road would be a comfortable experience. Settled for a trip to Mt Wellington on nice bitumen roads.

Aqueduct on Longhill Creek, Pipeline Track, Mt Wellington - 6 April 2008Quite cool today, although the sun did actually struggle out of the cloud cover for a few moments at one point. Had a nice walk, first on the Pipeline Track and then up to the Chalet and return. A little way below Ferntree on the Pipeline Track are the aqueducts. These were built in 1880-81, to replace a previous wooden bridge which was in serious disrepair.


Mountain Currant, Coprosma nitida - 8 Apr 2008Found the Mountain Currant (Coprosma nitida) displaying its bright red fruits, making quite a contrast with the Pink Mountain Berry. In checking my identification, I note that the Pink Mountain Berry may have changed classification from Cyathodes parvifolia to Leptecophylla juniperina subsp. parvifolia. I will have to follow it up. So far, my internet investigation reveals it is complex.


Banksia marginata - 8 April 2008The track near the chalet was also enlivened by the Banksia (Banksia marginata) which is flowering quite profusely. I note this plant is variously called Banksia, Silver Banksia and Honeysuckle. Only one other species of banksia, B. serrata is found on mainland Tasmania. Anyway, just before you reach the Chalet, the track passes through a 'tunnel' where the banksias meet overhead.


Mountain Bike on Pinnacle Track - 6 March 2008Encountered some mountain bikers on the Pinnacle Track, where they are not supposed to be. I'm all for drivers looking out for riders on the roads, but I do think their continual bleating about driver attitude would be appropriately accompanied by some self-moderation of their colleagues who have no regard for the law. In addition, it would be sensible if these clowns worked out how to travel at a safe speed even on tracks where they're allowed. I am awaiting advice from the Wellington Park Management Trust about how they actually manage inappropriate use of tracks by mountain bikers. If it's anything like their efforts on managing trail bikes on the back of the range, then I don't expect a very encouraging answer. I have to admit a certain feeling of schadenfreude when one of them fell off after he had passed me. How terrible of me. His crash was, fortunately, seemingly trivial.

2 comments:

Peter Franklin said...

There is a Ranger for Wellington Parkalthough it is a tough job trying to police the area. I too get most irate at the deliberate actions of some of the people we are forced to share this planet with.

The ranger is Lydia Marino and I keep her numbers in my mobile plus the Hobart Bushland contact


Lydia.Marino@parks.tas.gov.au
0408 517 534
03 6233 6680

and Hobart Bushland 03 6238 2886

Mark said...

Thanks Peter. I found Lydia's email last night and sent her some questions. I'll see what she/they say.