Sunday 7 November 2010

South Cape Bay - 7th November 2010

Echidna, South Cape Bay Track - 7th November 2010Had a nice walk to South Cape Bay. This fellow was happily munching ants along the track and was quite unconcerned about me, at least until the camera's flash became annoying.

Sponge, South Cape Bay - 7th November 2010Lots of interesting flotsam on the beach, including this sponge.


Kelp and Lion Rock, South Cape Bay - 7th November 2010Stormy weather had washed up large mounds of kelp, which makes for interesting foregrounds in photos at least.


Kelp, South Cape Bay - 7th November 2010I wondered about harvesting some pieces to see if I could make some of those lovely water-carriers and other items the Aboriginal ladies make. Then of course I remembered it's a national park...


Dead Shearwater, South Cape Bay - 7th November 2010There were quite a lot of dead shearwaters around. I've also seen significant numbers on Fortescue Bay Beach.


Stormy weather had altered the beach quite a lot. There was lots of exposed rock and sand had been stripped from most parts of the beach.


Tasmanian Laurel, Anopterus glandulosus, South Cape Bay Track - 7th November 2010The Tasmanian Laurels (Anopterus glandulosus) were in flower along the track, noticeably in the old sand dunes behind the beach.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those dead shearwaters are a bit of a worry. I wonder if there's any connection with the birds dropping out of the sky over in the USA?

Great photos, Mark. Keep the posts coming.

Cheers,
John Oliver

Mark said...

John, sorry didn't notice this when you commented. Been working flat out, so maybe that's my excuse. I doubt the dead shearwaters are related to the northern hemisphere deaths, although I always love a good conspiracy theory. The shearwaters do die in large numbers sometimes at the end of their enormous journey from the northern Pacific Ocean. I don't think there's a good explanation as to why. Maybe it's crap weather when they arrive, at the end of their tether, and they just don't quite make it. Perhaps some of our Aboriginal people who know these birds much better can advise?

Unknown said...

I'm a pastel artist and was wondering if you'd let me use your Tasmanian laurel photograph as a reference for a painting I've been asked to do? I'm happy to provide more details, show you the design I have in mind, etc.
Thanks!
Kelly Just

Mark said...

No worries, sounds good. Live to see the result.

Mark said...

No worries, sounds good. Live to see the result.

Unknown said...

Mark, thanks again for the use of your photo. I've finished the painting but can't attach a picture so here's a link to see it instead. Hope that's ok.

https://www.facebook.com/artbykellyjust/